Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Ever-Changing Favorite

 Last year, I put together a series of blogs on my favorite 3 soft plastic baits. I discussed how I fish each one and why they're my favorite. Also, in my most recent blog I mentioned that during my first tournament, a Stealth Worm on a shaky head might as we'll be the only lure to exist. Yet, last year, it didn't even make my top three.
 Truth be told, in the world of bass fishing, there are no constants. Everything changes from year to year. Season to season. A lot of times, even hour to hour. Favorite lures are no exception. For example, a few years back I discovered the Senko. I didn't like it wacky rigged and I believed it was blasphemy to add any weight to it. It was my magic lure. Fast forward to this year, I have been putting a lot of bass in the boat with the Senko I seemed to have forgotten about the last couple years. And, oddly enough, the two I have tied on right now are with a pegged weight and the other is wacky rigged. 
 The same can be said about a lot of different baits. My personal belief is that it all boils down to confidence. When I have full confidence in a lure, I know exactly what it's doing underwater. I can paint a picture with what it's doing. I have a good feel of how to entice a strike with it. Where as, without that confidence, I am not interacting with the bait like I should. To some it may sound crazy, but I bet the majority of serious anglers know exactly what I'm talking about. 
 The fact of the matter is, in the oh-so unpredictable world of bass fishing, there are no magic lures. We have our favorites, but it's just a matter of time before one bait's importance fades away so another can take its place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment